As summer ends and fall begins, this salad is sure to please with a taste of both seasons. The sweetness from the grilled pears matches the crispy, salty halloumi for a simple yet stunning light meal.
1 x 200-gram package of Halloumi Cheese cut into 8 strips of ¼ inch thickness
2 oz grapeseed or olive oil to season the halloumi before grilling
2 ripe pears peeled and sliced into 4 sections
½ cup water
2 oz California Red wine preferably a Merlot
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 package of arugula
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette:
1 oz Dijon mustard
2 oz honey
4 oz cider vinegar
1. Heat a pan to medium-high with 1/2 cup of water and add the pears. Cook for 2 to 3 min or until most of the water is gone. Add the red wine and simmer on medium-high for a few minutes, reduce heat to low. Cook for another 1 to 3 min or until pears are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove pears from the pan and let cool.
2. Place 3/4 cup of arugula on each serving dish.
3. Fan out the pears on the arugula and top with thinly sliced onions and red peppers.
4. Lightly oil the strips of halloumi and grill in a non-stick pan until golden brown on each side.
5. Place grilled Halloumi on top of the salad and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
6. Making the Vinaigrette: in a separate bowl whisk together honey, vinegar, Dijon mustard
7. Drizzle Honey Dijon vinaigrette over top and serve.