The zing of fresh lemon, the tang of Pecorino and the spring taste of fresh fava combine deliciously in this classic California dish. Pair with a California Chardonnay or Zinfandel.
- 2 pounds (900g) fava beans
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) salt
- 6 cups (1.5L) water
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon (1.25ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (45g) shaved pecorino cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- Shell the beans from the fava pods.
- Add the water to a large saucepan, bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Add the shelled beans to the boiling water and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Strain the cooked beans.
- Let the beans cool until they can be handled then peel the outer skin from each bean.
- For the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, salt and honey.
- Slowly drizzle the oil into the lemon juice mixture while whisking together until well incorporated.
- Add the beans to the vinaigrette and mix gently.
- Divide the beans evenly on 4 small plates.
- Top with Pecorino and desired amount of ground pepper